How to Form a Chapter
HOW TO FORM A NEW CHAPTER
If there are at least three Members, Senior Members or Honorary Members of SPWLA in your area, you may want to organize a chapter.
- Schedule a meeting of the three or more members.
- Draw up a set of By-laws to govern your chapter activities following the general pattern of the model By-laws which conform to chapter regulations as given in the SPWLA Amended Articles of Incorporation By-laws.
- Write a letter to the SPWLA Board of Directors using the sample shown below, with your three or more signatures, and attach your proposed chapter by-laws.
- A minimum of 20 members in your area must be members in good standing of the International SPWLA.
The Board of Directors
Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, Inc.
8866 Gulf Freeway, Suite 320
Houston, TX 77017
Dear Board of Directors,
The undersigned Members (and/or) Senior Members, Honorary Members, in good standing of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, Inc., hereby petition the Board of Directors to establish the ___________________ Chapter of SPWLA. Attached is a copy of the proposed By-laws for this chapter which conform to the model by-laws and regulations of the SPWLA Amended Articles of Incorporation.
Signed by 3 eligible members
MODEL BY-LAWS FOR A CHAPTER OF SPWLA
By-laws for the (Name)[i], A Chapter[ii] of SPWLA
The name of this organization is (name)[iii] and the permanent mailing address is:
P.O. Box or Street Address
City, State, Zip Code
The purpose of the (name)[v], a Chapter[vi] of the SOCIETY OF PETROPHYSICISTS and WELL LOG ANALYSTS is, in general, the same as stated in Article IV of the SPWLA Amended Articles of Incorporation, and specifically to advance the science of formation evaluation. The (name)[vii] is responsible to, and subject to, the Amended Articles and by-laws of the parent SPWLA. In keeping with this declaration, and to guide and regulate the (name)[viii], the following by-laws stand approved and adopted:
ARTICLE I - OFFICERS AND DUTIES
Officers of the Chapter are: President, First Vice President[ix], Secretary and Treasurer[x]. The President and First Vice President[xi] must be members of the parent SPWLA[xii].
The President shall:
- 1 Preside at all meetings of the Chapter.
- 2 Appoint all temporary committees and chairpersons.
- 3 Perform duties which pertain to the direction of the Chapter.
- 4 Call special elections.
- 5 Maintain communication with the parent SPWLA through the assigned Regional Director for the Chapter, and by a formal report (on standard form) within 30 days after each Chapter meeting.
- 6 Forward a list of officers elected for the next term to the SPWLA business office before the Annual Business Meeting, which is held at the annual SPWLA Symposium.
- 7 Encourage membership in both the Chapter and the parent SPWLA.
- 8 Entertain the idea to submit a bid proposal for the purpose of hosting an annual SPWLA Symposium. Formal bids should be presented to the Board of Directors of the SPWLA during the fourth quarter of the calendar year.
The First Vice President[xiii] shall:
- 1 Be responsible for the technical programs of the Chapter[xiv].
- 2 Preside at Chapter meetings in the absence of the President.
- 3 Encourage membership in the Chapter and in the parent SPWLA.
- 4 Encourage participation in technical activities, such as making presentations at Chapter meetings, submitting abstracts to the SPWLA Technological Committee for possible presentation of a paper at the annual SPWLA Symposium, and submitting papers to Petrophysics.
- 5 Arrange for the meeting place of the Chapter
The Secretary shall:
- 1 Maintain an up-to-date membership list of the Chapter, including name, member status and address.
- 2 Preside at Chapter meetings in the absence of both the President and First Vice President/
- 3 Give written notice of meetings to eligible members.
- 4 Prepare and keep the minutes of regular and special meetings of the Chapter. Transmit a brief summary of regular meetings to the SPWLA business office for publication in Petrophysics.
- 5 Provide for maintenance of the Chapter Web Page, if applicable.
The Treasurer shall:
- 1 Collect all dues and other obligations to the Chapter.
- 2 Make disbursements and transact other financial business authorized by the Chapter.
- 3 Make a financial report at the close of the Chapter year and at other times upon request of the President.
- 4 Keep the SPWLA business office informed of the Chapters financial status using standard form from business office.
- 5 Keep ongoing orderly financial records for the Chapter.
All officers shall familiarize themselves with these by-laws upon taking office, and shall adhere to them in conducting Chapter business.
ARTICLE II - TERM OF OFFICE
The term of office for all officers shall be one year. The term shall begin the first day following the Annual Business Meeting of the Parent SPWLA and end at the close of the next Annual Business Meeting[xv].
ARTICLE III - MEETINGS
Chapter meetings shall be held monthly from September through May[xvi] at a time and place designated by the First Vice President[xvii].
The President may call special meetings at other times.
ARTICLE IV - MEMBERSHIP
Any person with an interest in the study of well logging and formation evaluation[xviii] shall be eligible to become a member of the Chapter, and should be encouraged to become a member of the parent SPWLA.
Membership shall be established upon payment of dues[xix].
Members of the Chapter who are not members of the SPWLA shall be known as Affiliate Members. They shall be qualified to vote in the Chapter and to hold any Chapter offices except President and First Vice President[xx].
- 1 Membership classes shall be identical with those of the parent SPWLA, as enumerated in Article V, Section 2 of the Amended Articles of Incorporation of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, Inc. The qualifications rights and obligations of each class of membership shall be identical with those of the corresponding class of membership set forth in the Articles of Incorporation of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, Inc.
ARTICLE V - ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Election of officers is held by mail after the March Chapter meeting[xxi].
A written notice containing the slate of nominees as provided by a Nominating Committee shall be mailed to all chapter members not later than five (5) days prior to the date of the election. Additional nominations of any qualified candidate can be made provided that the nominator has prior consent of the candidate[xxii].
Elections shall be by secret ballot. Each member in good standing shall be allowed one vote for each office. The candidate receiving a majority of votes shall be elected to each office. In the case of three or more candidates for one office, the candidate receiving a plurality shall be elected to that office.
If the office of President is vacated for any reason, the First Vice President shall succeed to the office of President; the Executive Committee (see Article VII, Section 1) shall then appoint a First Vice President from the qualified membership to serve the balance of the term. If any other office is vacated, the Executive Committee shall appoint a qualified member to that office for the remainder of the term.
ARTICLE VI - DUES AND FEES
Dues and/or membership fees may be levied by recommendation of the Executive Committee and as approved by a majority vote of the qualified membership of the Chapter. Dues shall become delinquent two months after being approved, and members in arrears shall be classified as "not in good standing."
Should the Chapter be dissolved for any reason, any remaining funds and assets will be donated to the SPWLA Foundation to be used for educational purposes. [xxiii]
ARTICLE VII - COMMITTEES
The Executive Committee shall consist of all current officers, as specified in Article 1, and the Immediate Past President of the Chapter. This committee shall conduct whatever business of the Chapter the President deems necessary.
Temporary committees may be appointed by the President to act on Chapter business. The tenure of any temporary committee may be specified by the President, but in all cases temporary committees will automatically be dissolved at the end of the term of office of the Chapter Officers.
The Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the President at least one month (30 days) prior to the Chapter deadline for issuing an election ballot (see Article V above). The committee shall consist of at least three (3) members in good standing of the Chapter. The purpose of this committee is to nominate at least two (2) qualified members for each office of the Chapter. The tenure of this committee shall terminate with the presentation of the ballot.
Permanent committees may be established by a majority vote of the members present at any Chapter meeting as defined in Article III above. Members of permanent committees shall be appointed annually by the President.
ARTICLE VIII - SECURITY OF INFORMATION
None of the technical information arising from the meetings and discussions can be considered confidential. It is the responsibility of each person to contribute or withhold information according to the authorization delegated to him by his company or institution. The statements and opinions expressed by a contributor should not be construed as an official action or opinion of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts, Inc. [xxiv]
ARTICLE IX - AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these by-laws must be approved by the Board of Directors of the SPWLA[xxv]. Amendments to these by-laws may be proposed by a committee appointed by the President of the Chapter or by the Executive committee, or by petition in writing by ten members of the Chapter. All such amendments must be submitted by mail to all Chapter members in good standing for approval by vote. A two-thirds majority of the votes cast shall be required for submission of the amendment to the SPWLA Board of Directors. Any proposed amendment obtaining a two-thirds majority vote will be sent by the Chapter President to the assigned Regional Director for SPWLA Board of Directors approval, with a letter of petition explaining the need for the amendment.
- Should be the full name of the Chapter: e.g., Dallas Chapter of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts; Minerals and Geotechnical Logging Society. Required.
- Or Chapter-at-Large, as the case may be. Required.
- See note 1.
- See note 1.
- See note 1.
- Or Chapter-at-Large, as the case may be.
- See note 1.
- See note 1.
- Some Chapters prefer to use Vice President of Technology or similar title.
- Some Chapters choose to combine the positions of Secretary and Treasurer. This is acceptable under SPWLA by-laws. Some Chapters have additional officers: e.g., Parliamentarian, Reporter, Vice President Membership, etc. This is also acceptable under SPWLA by-laws. Just be certain that the Duties of the Officers as listed in the remainder of Article I match the officers as listed in this paragraph.
- See note 9.
- This condition must be met, per the SPWLA by-laws.
- Put in title consistent with first paragraph of Article 1.
- Some chapters may provide for two such officers, e.g., Houston Chapter holds three monthly meetings in different areas and has designated three Vice Presidents in their by-laws which is fine, but all of them must be a member of the parent SPWLA.
- Some chapters prefer a calendar year or some other basis. Any such arrangement is acceptable, as long as it is specified in this Article.
- Feel free to substitute whatever schedule you use: e.g., bi-monthly, or monthly from January to December.
- Or whomever has this responsibility according to Article I.
- Chapters-at-Large may prefer different wording here to reflect their particular technical interest
- If dues are required. If your Chapter does not require dues, insert whatever requirements are applicable for establishing membership.
- This is a "must" according to the SPWLA by-laws, Article V. Again, if you use a name other than First Vice President then be consistent throughout this document.
- Feel free to replace this with whatever method is used: "by mail after the December meeting", for example, or "at the April meeting".
- If your Chapter has a different procedure, write it up and include it instead of this one.
- This is required.
- This is required.
- This is required by vote of the SPWLA Board of Directors on November 18, 1987.